WAF member Tony J. Nguyen leads a notable lineup of Houston area nominees for the 2023 James Beard Awards. With six nominations, Houston had a strong showing in the national awards.
- Outstanding Chef: Christine Ha and Tony J. Nguyen, Xin Chào (Second consecutive nomination)
- Emerging Chef: Victoria Elizondo, Cochinita & Co.
- Best New Restaurant: Tatemó
- Outstanding Restaurateur: Chris Williams, Lucille’s Hospitality Group (Second consecutive nomination)
- Outstanding Wine and Other Beverages Program: Nancy’s Hustle
- Outstanding Hospitality: Theodore Rex
Four Houston area chefs were nominated for Best Chef, Texas:
- Greg Gatlin, Gatlin’s BBQ
- Ai Le, Nam Giao
- Benchawan Painter, Street to Kitchen
- Kiran Verma, Kiran’s
The finalists will be announced on Wednesday, March 29. The James Beard Foundation will honor its winners at an awards ceremony on Monday, June 5, 2023, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.